IPL Season 10, also known as IPL 2017, was held from April 5 to May 21, 2017. The tournament featured the same eight teams as the previous season. Here is a brief history of the season:
- Mumbai Indians emerged as champions of the season, defeating Rising Pune Supergiant by 1 run in a thrilling final. Batting first, Mumbai Indians posted a total of 129/8, with Krunal Pandya top-scoring with 47. In response, Rising Pune Supergiant fell just short, scoring 128/6 in their 20 overs.
- Kolkata Knight Riders and Sunrisers Hyderabad finished third and fourth, respectively, and qualified for the playoffs. However, Kolkata Knight Riders were knocked out by Mumbai Indians in the second qualifier, while Sunrisers Hyderabad lost to Rising Pune Supergiant in the first qualifier.
- David Warner of Sunrisers Hyderabad won the Orange Cap for the leading run-scorer of the tournament, scoring 641 runs in 14 matches, including a century and four half-centuries. The Purple Cap for the leading wicket-taker of the season went to Bhuvneshwar Kumar of Sunrisers Hyderabad, who took 26 wickets in 14 matches.
- The season saw some outstanding individual performances, including Rahul Tripathi’s 93 off 52 balls for Rising Pune Supergiant against Kolkata Knight Riders, Hashim Amla’s 104* off 60 balls for Kings XI Punjab against Mumbai Indians, and Chris Lynn’s 93 off 41 balls for Kolkata Knight Riders against Gujarat Lions.
- The tournament was not without its controversies, including a controversy over the use of Decision Review System (DRS) in the tournament and a controversy over the non-selection of some top Indian players in the auction.
Overall, IPL Season 10 was another high-scoring and entertaining tournament that featured some exceptional individual performances and saw the emergence of some young talents like Rahul Tripathi and Basil Thampi.