IPL Season 13, also known as IPL 2020, was the thirteenth edition of the Indian Premier League. The tournament was held in the United Arab Emirates from September 19 to November 10, 2020, due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Here is a brief history of the season:
- Mumbai Indians emerged as champions of the season, winning their fifth IPL title. They defeated Delhi Capitals in the final by five wickets to become the most successful team in IPL history.
- The other two teams to qualify for the playoffs were Sunrisers Hyderabad and Royal Challengers Bangalore, who finished third and fourth, respectively. Sunrisers Hyderabad defeated Royal Challengers Bangalore in the eliminator but lost to Delhi Capitals in the second qualifier.
- KL Rahul of Kings XI Punjab won the Orange Cap for the leading run-scorer of the tournament, scoring 670 runs in 14 matches, including one century and five half-centuries. The Purple Cap for the leading wicket-taker of the season went to Kagiso Rabada of Delhi Capitals, who took 30 wickets in 17 matches.
- The tournament saw some outstanding individual performances, including KL Rahul’s century against Royal Challengers Bangalore, Rahul Tewatia’s 5 sixes in an over against Kings XI Punjab, and Jofra Archer’s match-winning performances with both bat and ball for Rajasthan Royals.
- The tournament also saw some controversies, including the mid-season withdrawal of some players due to personal reasons and the bio-secure bubble breaches by some players.
IPL Season 13 was a successful tournament despite the challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic. It saw some exceptional individual performances and some new talents emerging on the scene, and Mumbai Indians continued their dominance in the IPL with another title win.