IPL Season 12, also known as IPL 2019, was the twelfth edition of the Indian Premier League. The tournament was held from March 23 to May 12, 2019, with a total of 60 matches played across 50 days. Here is a brief history of the season:
- Mumbai Indians emerged as champions of the season, winning their fourth IPL title. They defeated Chennai Super Kings in a closely-fought final by just one run.
- Delhi Capitals and Sunrisers Hyderabad finished third and fourth, respectively, and qualified for the playoffs. However, Delhi Capitals were knocked out in the eliminator by Sunrisers Hyderabad, who went on to lose to Chennai Super Kings in the second qualifier.
- David Warner of Sunrisers Hyderabad won the Orange Cap for the leading run-scorer of the tournament, scoring 692 runs in 12 matches, including eight half-centuries. The Purple Cap for the leading wicket-taker of the season went to Imran Tahir of Chennai Super Kings, who took 26 wickets in 17 matches.
- The season saw some outstanding individual performances, including Andre Russell’s 49-ball 121* for Kolkata Knight Riders against Royal Challengers Bangalore, Rishabh Pant’s 78* off 36 balls for Delhi Capitals against Mumbai Indians, and Alzarri Joseph’s 6/12 for Mumbai Indians against Sunrisers Hyderabad on debut.
- The tournament also saw some controversies, including the on-field altercation between Kings XI Punjab captain Ravichandran Ashwin and Rajasthan Royals’ Jos Buttler, and the slow over-rate fines imposed on several teams.
Overall, IPL Season 12 was another exciting and closely-fought tournament that saw some exceptional individual performances and some new talents emerging on the scene.